Saturday, November 10, 2012

Reincarnation of Love

The scent of smoke and polluted water filled my nostrils as I sat watching the shallow flow of the river looking for the answer to my question. My senses had just registered an unfamiliar smell. I looked up from the river and over to an altar-type platform where a stack of logs sat with an object covered by orange flowers and a sheet which had just been lit on fire by a woman who had placed a smoking stick on top of the object. There was my answer: burning flesh.

I was watching a Hindu cremation ceremony of a four-year-old boy who had recently died at a temple called Pashupatinath in Kathmandu. His mother had just laid a burning stick on his body. The rest of the boy's extended family stood a few feet away hoping his spirit would be reincarnated. As a follower of Jesus this was one of the most devastating things I had ever witnessed. I realized in that moment I had never been to a non christian funeral before. I have no idea what God decides in these situations about salvation, but I do believe Christians won't be the only ones in heaven. Sitting there watching this ceremony take place and listening to the wailing of a family whose hope was put in the cycle of reincarnation, I felt sick. This boy had never heard the name of Jesus.

As followers of Jesus, our hope is simple and beautiful. We believe in one Being who extends a gift of grace. Grace in its fullest sense: "Mercy. A manifestation of favor." as the dictionary puts it. Love is here! All we have to do is exist, become vulnerable to Love's embrace and soak it in. Simplicity. Soaking in and looking into the face of Love we become a reflection where Love starts streaming out of us like clear, refreshing streams of water. Beauty.

Annapurna range
Standing to my feet as I walked away from the wailing and smoke I talked to Jesus and my heart still ached. But, maybe that's part of the reflection of Love. And I'm okay with that.

Updates:

-My trip to Nepal was successful! My visa was extended till February and then I can reapply in Dhaka for another one. Thank you for all of your prayers!

-Enoch is adjusting well and has the most beautiful smile. Plus he took his first steps last week!

2 comments:

  1. Love reading about your adventures! Prayers for you daily... may you continue to be a servant for God! Lovely pictures... makes me want to bring some of those sweet faces home! Congrats on the visa extension!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mecca! The picture of you infront the mountains looks fake it's so pretty! Good post.

    ReplyDelete