Thursday, October 11, 2012

First Impressions


Oct. 5, 2012

"Kenzie, Kenzie, Kenzie!" My name is yelled across the yard as I walk by the cafeteria. Pitter, patter go the little foot steps as tiny brown fingers clammer for my open palms and big brown eyes look up into mine. I smile as I look down and into those beautiful faces; in awe how these little beings were made from the same substance I am: dust. The once eager faces turn bashful as they return my expression and look away, but ever so slowly those big brown eyes meet mine again. I don't know if my name has ever been said more times in one day or by more adorable voices. Beauty from dust.

During the 36 hours it took to get to Bangla Hope one phrase kept coming to mind as I travelled deeper and deeper into Asia, "We're no longer in Kansas, Toto." It's true, I'm not. As I look out my window all I can see are flat, fluorecscent green rice patties dotted with beautiful trees accompanied by a few farmers here and there and villagers walking through the patties to their homes. I hear children laughing and the dinner bell being rung for the older children to go eat and plop, yes, a gecko just fell from the ceiling. Yep, definitely not in Kansas.

I arrived in Dhaka, Bangladesh yesterday around 10:30pm where the Waids and I stayed the night at an Adventist-run dental clinic where I met Bani who works in the clinic on the Bangla Hope campus. After about 3 hours of sleep I was awakened and informed that we would be leaving at 4:30am to travel to the orphanage, because it would be safer to travel through Dhaka during the 5:00 hour when the Muslims would all be saying their morning prayers. As I walked outside to load into the van, I heard the Muslim recording of their call to prayer over the loud speaker on the street. Climbing into the van I knew this was going to be an experience. I wasn't disappointed. Driving on the left-side while constantly trying to pass people on the right on a two-lane road while dodging goats and people was kinda fun. Our driver, Joseph, is amazing and I didn't feel nervous at all with him at the wheel. But, I have to tell you the roads are beautiful! Beautiful green trees line the edges and the branches create a tunnel for us to drive under. (The main highways were actually in better condition than College Avenue.)

Six hours later we pulled into the campus gate which was decorated with signs and flags welcoming the Waid's home. As I climbed out of the car and looked at all of the faces of those precious children I became a bit shy. But after Bani did a little coaxing, I walked over and started shaking their hands and laughing at the way they became equally as shy when I smiled at them. I don't cry very often, especially when I am happy, but I let tears of joy roll down my face as a small group of children hovered around me and reached for my hands. They wanted to know if I knew Lisa and Kelsey and Chantel Teacher. And after I said "yes", Metali (one of the older girls) told me we could defintely be friends then. Listening to their voices sing during vespers as one of the girls climbed into my lap and gave me the biggest smile it hit me full on that I am here in Bangladesh only by an act of God. I'm still wondering how I even got here in the first place or why, but that's the interesting part. The mystery I have yet to discover when I walk beside God.

No comments:

Post a Comment